Tad L Gerlinger, M.D.
Hip & Knee Reconstruction and Replacement
Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush
Colonel(Ret) Tad L. Gerlinger, M.D., Medical Corps, US Army
COL(Ret) Gerlinger was commissioned from the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York and awarded a Bachelor of Science degree. He graduated from medical school at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences(USUHS), Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Gerlinger completed a Transitional Internship at Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Washington, and a Fellowship in Adult Reconstruction at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois. His military education includes the Army Medical Department Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, Army Flight Surgeon Course(Distinguished Honor Graduate), Navy Undersea Medicine Course, Jumpmaster School(Honor Graduate), Airborne and Air Assault School. Additionally, he is a graduate of the Command and General Staff College.
COL(Ret) Gerlinger served as the Program Director, San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium(SAUSHEC) Orthopaedic Surgery Residency from 2008 to 2013, and as Chief of Adult Reconstruction, San Antonio Military Medical Center(SAMMC) since 2005. The SAUSHEC Orthopaedic Surgery Residency is the largest Orthopaedic Residency in the Department of Defense(DoD) and SAMMC is the DoD’s only Level I Trauma Center. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and is an Associate Professor of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and an Assistant Professor of Surgery, Rush University.
COL(Ret) Gerlinger deployed to Kosovo with Task Force Falcon, Operation Joint Guardian, in 2001. He served with the 274th Forward Surgical Team (Airborne), the first FST deployed into Afghanistan, for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2001. Dr. Gerlinger served with the Joint Special Operations Task Force in the initial actions of Operation Iraqi Freedom, 2003. He returned to Afghanistan in 2011 with the 936th Forward Surgical Team, serving with the Norwegian Provincial Reconstruction Team at Forward Operating Base Meymaneh.
COL(Ret) Gerlinger’s decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal(with Oak Leaf Cluster), Army Commendation Medal(with Oak Leaf Cluster), Army Achievement Medal(2 Oak Leaf Clusters), Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, Kosovo Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, and the Joint Meritorious Unit Award. He has also been awarded the Combat Medical Badge twice, Expert Field Medical Badge, Senior Parachutist Badge, Air Assault badge, and Australian, Romanian and Egyptian Parachutist Badges. COL Gerlinger is a member of the Order of Military Medical Merit, is a Ridder, Den Blodrøde Bondasjes Orden (Knight, Order of the Blood Red Bandage-Norway), has been awarded the Surgeon General’s ‘A’ Proficiency Designator, and is an Eagle Scout.
COL(Ret) Gerlinger is a Past President of the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons and is the Co-Program Director for the SOMOS/AAOS/OTA Disaster Response Course. He has served as a Representative, Board of Specialty Societies, and on the Education Committee for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Gerlinger currently is a Consultant on the International Committee Disaster Preparedness Project Team and serves on the Central Instructional Course Committee and Educational Track Committee for the AAOS. He is also a reviewer for Military Medicine and the Journal of Arthroplasty, and is the originating online co-editor for the ‘Disaster Preparedness Toolbox’, Wheelessonline.com. Currently he serves as a Co-director of the Adult Reconstruction Fellowship at Rush.
- Davis JA, Bohl DD, Gerlinger TL. Brake response time after modern total knee arthroplasty: How soon can patients drive? Knee. 2018 Aug 11. pii: S0968-0160(18)30519-2. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2018.07.002. PMID: 30108010
- Campbell KJ, Louie PK, Bohl DD, Edmiston T, Mikhail C, Li J, Khorsand DA, Levine BR, Gerlinger TL. A Novel, Automated Text-Messaging System Is Effective in Patients Undergoing Total Joint Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Jan 16;101(2):145-151. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.17.01505. PMID: 30653044
- Bohl DD, Jefferson Li, Calkins TE, Darrith B, Edmiston TA, Nam D, Gerlinger TL, Levine BR, Della Valle CJ. Physical Therapy on Postoperative Day Zero Following Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized Controlled Trial of 394 Patients. J Arthroplasty. 2019 Feb 13. pii: S0883- 5403(19)30145-7. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2019.02.010. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30827716
- Hannon CP, Calkins TE, Li J, Culvern C, Darrith B, Nam D, Gerlinger TL, Buvanendran A, Della Valle CJ. Large Opioid Prescriptions Are Unnecessary After Total Joint Arthroplasty: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Arthroplasty. 2019 Feb 4. pii: S0883-5403(19)30110-X. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2019.01.065. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30799266
- Sershon RA, Li J, Calkins TE, Courtney PM, Nam D, Gerlinger TL, Sporer SM, Levine BR. Prospective Validation of a Demographically Based Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty Size Calculator. J Arthroplasty. 2019 Mar 7. pii: S0883-5403(19)30204-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2019.02.048. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 30930159
- Manning BT, Bohl DD, Redondo ML, Gerlinger TL, Sporer SM, Paprosky WG, Levine BR. Midlevel Providers in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Patient’s Perspective. Accepted for publication by The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal on April 5, 2019.
- Campbell KJ, Louie PK, Khorsand DA, Frisch NB, Gerlinger TL, Levine BR. Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Perspectives From Orthopedic Surgery. Orthopedics. 2018 May 1;41(3):135- 140. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20180409-08. Epub 2018 Apr 16. PMID: 29658978
- Courtney PM, Edmiston TA, Pflederer CT, Levine BR, Gerlinger TL. Is There Any Role for Direct Repair of Extensor Mechanism Disruption Following Total Knee Arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2017 Dec 2. pii: S0883-5403(17)31050-1. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2017.11.045. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29248484
- Kayupov E, Okroj K, Young AC, Moric M, Luchetti TJ, Zisman G, Buvanendran A, Gerlinger TL, Della Valle CJ. Continuous Adductor Canal Blocks Provide Superior Ambulation and Pain Control Compared to Epidural Analgesia for Primary Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Nov 13. pii: S0883-5403(17)30986-5. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2017.11.013. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29233569
- Kayupov E, Fillingham YA, Okroj K, Plummer DR, Moric M, Gerlinger TL, Della Valle CJ. Oral and Intravenous Tranexamic Acid Are Equivalent at Reducing Blood Loss Following Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017 Mar 1;99(5):373-378. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.16.00188. PMID: 28244907
- Fillingham YA, Kayupov E, Plummer DR, Moric M, Gerlinger TL, Della Valle CJ. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Oral and Intravenous Tranexamic Acid in Total Knee Arthroplasty: The Same Efficacy at Lower Cost? J Arthroplasty. 2016 Sep;31(9 Suppl):26-30. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2016.02.081. PMID: 27113948
- McGrory B, Weber K, Lynott JA, Richmond JC, Davis CM 3rd, Yates A Jr, Kamath AF, Dasa V, Brown GA, Gerlinger TL, Villanueva T, Piva S, Hebl J, Jevsevar D, Shea KG, Bozic KJ, Shaffer W, Cummins D, Murray JN, Donnelly P, Patel N, Brenton B, Shores P, Woznica A, Linskey E, Sevarino K. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guideline on Surgical Management of Osteoarthritis of the Knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016 Apr 20;98(8):688-92. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.15.01311. PMID: 27098328
- McDowell M, Park A, Gerlinger TL. The Painful Total Knee Arthroplasty. Orthop Clin North Am. 2016 Apr;47(2):317-26. PMID: 26772940
- FLOW Investigators, Bhandari M, Jeray KJ, Petrisor BA, Devereaux PJ, Heels-Ansdell D, Schemitsch EH, Anglen J, Della Rocca GJ, Jones C, Kreder H, Liew S, McKay P, Papp S, Sancheti P, Sprague S, Stone TB, Sun X, Tanner SL, Tornetta P 3rd, Tufescu T, Walter S, Guyatt GH. A Trial of Wound Irrigation in the Initial Management of Open Fracture Wounds. N Engl J Med. 2015 Dec 31;373(27):2629-41. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1508502. Epub 2015 Oct 8. PMID: 264483710
- Johnson AE, Gerlinger TL, Born CT. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons/Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons/Orthopaedic Trauma Associations/Pediatric Orthopaedic Association Disaster Response and Preparedness Course. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Oct;29 Suppl 10:S23-5. PMID: 26356210
- Orr JD, Hoffmann JD, Arrington ED, Gerlinger TL, Devine JG, Belmont PJ Jr. Army orthopaedic surgery residency program directors' selection criteria. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2015 Summer;24(2):120-4. PMID: 25988694
- Andersen RC, D'Alleyrand JC, Swiontkowski MF, Ficke JR; Extremity War Injuries VIII Session Moderators. Extremity War Injuries VIII: sequelae of combat injuries. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014 Jan;22(1):57-62. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-22-01-57.
- Glebus, Feathers, Hsu, Gerlinger. Return to Duty and Deployment After Major Joint Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jul 3. pii: S0883-5403(13)00199-X. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2013.02.028. [Epub ahead of print]
- Masini, Gerlinger, Hsu, Ritenour, Wenke. Acute Compartment Syndrome of the Thigh in Combat Casualties. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2013 Spring;22(1):42-9.
- Masini, Stinner, Waterman, Wenke, Gerlinger. Bacterial Adherence to Titanium, Poly-l-lactic Acid, and Composite Hydroxyapatite and Poly-l-lactic Acid Interference Screws. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2012 Winter;21(4):237-41.
- Robbins J, Gerlinger TL, Ward JA. Can Carbon Fiber Rods for the Hoffman II® External Fixator be Reused? Am J Orthop. 2012;41(12):551-553.
- Su EP, Perna M, Boettner F, Mayman DJ, Gerlinger TL, Barsoum W, Randolph J, Lee G. A Prospective, Multi-center, Randomised Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy of a Cryopneumatic Device on Total Knee Arthroplasty Recovery. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Nov;94-B(11 Suppl):153-6.
- Krueger CA, Murray CK, Mende K, Guymon CH, Gerlinger TL. The Bacterial Contamination of Surgical Scrubs. Am J Orthop. 2012 May;41(5):E69-E73.
- Fuller, Dowd, Masini, Gerlinger TL. Publication rates of abstracts presented at the annual meeting of the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2012 Summer;21(2):1-4.
- Doman D, Gerlinger TL. Total Knee and Hip Arthroplasty Cost Savings with a Rapid Recovery Protocol in a Military Medical Center. Mil Med. 2012 Jan; 177(1): 64-69.
- Blair JA, Stinner DJ, Kirby JM, Gerlinger TL, Hsu JR. Quantification of Femoral Neck Exposure Through a Minimally Invasive Smith-Petersen Approach. J Orthop Trauma. 2010 Jun;24:355-358.
- Needham J, Burns T, Gerlinger TL: Catastrophic Failure of Ceramic-Polyethylene Bearing Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2008 Jun;23(4):627-30.
- Carmouche J, Molinari R, Gerlinger TL, DeVine J, Patience T: Effects of Pilot Hole Preparation on Pedicle Screw Fixation in Different Regions of the Osteoporotic Thoracic and Lumbar Spine. J Neurosurg Spine. 2005 Nov;3:364-370.
- Berger R, Sanders S, Gerlinger TL, Della Valle C, Jacobs J, Rosenberg A: Outpatient Total Knee Arthroplasty with a Minimally Invasive Technique. J Arthroplasty. 2005 Oct;20(6 suppl 3):33-8
- Gerlinger TL, Ghate R, Paprosky W: Posterior Approach: Back Door In. Orthopedics. 2005 Sep;28(9):931-933.
- Peoples G, Gerlinger TL, Craig R, Burlingame B: The 274th Forward Surgical Team Experience during Operation Enduring Freedom. Mil Med. 2005 Jun;170(6):451-459.
- Peoples G, Gerlinger TL, Craig R, Burlingame B: Combat Casualties in Afghanistan Cared for by a Single Forward Surgical Team during the Initial Phases of Operation Enduring Freedom. Mil Med. 2005 Jun;170(6):462-468.
- Peoples G, Gerlinger TL, Budinich C, Burlingame B: The Most Frequently Requested Precombat Refresher Training by the Special Forces Medics during Operation Enduring Freedom. Mil Med. 2005 Jan;170(1):31-37.
- Vassallo D, Gerlinger TL, Maholtz P, Burlingame B, Shepherd A: Combined UK/US Field Hospital Management of a Major Incident Arising from a Chinook Helicopter Crash in Afghanistan, 28 Jan 2002. J R Army Med Corps. 2003 Mar;149(1):47-52.
- Molinari R, Gerlinger TL: Functional Outcome of Instrumented Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion(PLIF) in Active Duty U.S. Servicemen: A Comparison with Nonoperative Management. The Spine Journal. 2001 May-Jun;1(3):215-224.
- Connolly B, Turner C, DeVine J, Gerlinger TL: Jefferson fracture resulting in Collet-Sicard syndrome. Spine. 2000 Feb 1;25(3):395-398.
- Connolly B, Johnstone F, Gerlinger TL, Puttler E: Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a finger felon. J Hand Surg [Am]. 2000 Jan;25(1):173-175.
- Connolly B, Gerlinger TL, Pitcher J: Complete masking of a severe open-book pelvic fracture by a pneumatic antishock garment. J Trauma. 1999 Feb;46(2):340-342.
- Gerlinger TL, Doukas W, Munter F: A 26-year-old man with shoulder pain. Am J Orthop. 1998 Feb;27(2):146-150.
|Practice Emphasis:||Joint Replacement|
|Medical School:||Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD|
|Residency:||Orthopaedic Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA|
|Fellowship:||Fellowship in Adult Reconstruction, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL|
|Board Certification:||Orthopaedic Surgery|
|Disclosures:||AAOS Record of Disclosure|